Would you sacrifice the look of your high-end sports car with cheap, mismatched tires and wheels? It is just as important to attend to every small detail when projecting a professional image and your business sock selection is an important part of your executive wardrobe. Here are some helpful tips on business socks for men to start your workday on the right foot.
- Your sock color should match your dress slacks, not your shoes. For example, if you are wearing navy slacks, choose a dark navy colored sock. The more conservative the occasion, the darker and thinner the sock. Invest in several pair of black, charcoal gray and navy dress socks.
- Patterns and plaids are best worn with a more casual pair of pants. The more pattern you have on your sock, the less formal the look.
- Avoid wearing heavy, hot, thick socks with dress shoes. Although they may be dark in color they are less corporate.
- Dress socks should cover the calf. It is unappealing to catch a glimpse of a man’s hairy leg during a business meal or board meeting.
- Do a sock inventory. Throw away any socks that have worn out heels or holes in the toe.
- Athletic socks should only be worn with tennis shoes. Never wear an athletic sock with a dress shoe.
- Argyle socks are a more casual look, and, depending on the color, can be either conservative or trendy. Worn in the right context, a great pair of argyles can be pulled off with sophistication, fashion and flair.
- A black sock, worn with shorts and dress or tennis shoesis a dastardly combination! Hold a sock intervention party.
- Socks and sandals are usually a sin. Unless your great grandfather is wearing them and then they just look cute.