Summer’s here and your feet are scrubbed, polished and ready to face the light of day. If you’re thinking about jazzing up those tootsies with a toe ring, take a minute to think about where your toes will be on display and who will be looking.
The toe ring trend has been going strong since the ‘90s. Fans of toe rings love the additional means of expression and flirty style a toe ring gives. Before you slip any jewelry on your piggies, however, brush up on these toe ring tips to insure you can pull it off (literally and figuratively).
- Make sure your feet are in tip-top condition. If they’re not, a toe ring will focus attention to an area that you really don’t want people scrutinizing.
- Flashing that toe ring at work? Consider your environment. If you’re in a conservative industry – say a financial firm handling sizable investments for their clients – save the toe ring for the beach. If you can safely wear open-toed shoes or sandals to work, which would dictate a very casual environment, chances are that your toe ring will probably not break the dress code.
- Size up the social setting. There probably aren’t too many social events where the toe ring would be taboo, but again, consider the venue. A night out dancing? Not a problem. Just make sure your toe ring is comfortable before you spend all night prancing in your platforms. A formal black-tie event with floor-length dress? Use your judgment – and then, take it off. The more conservative the event, the less your toe ring will enhance your look.
- Consider your personal style and yes, age. If you’re under 30, go for it (and if you already have a tattoo or non-ear piercing, odds are your toe ring is the most conservative body art you are probably donning). Sometimes flashy little accessories like toe rings are the jewelry equivalent of over-tanning or wearing clothing that’s too tight – they can just make you look like you’re trying too hard. Sorry, but it had to be said.
- Remember, safety first! For goodness sake, make sure you have the proper fit, especially if you plan on strolling barefoot through your neighbors shag carpeting. Toe ring aficionados say you should be able to spin the ring around your toe and it should only come off or go on with a spray cleaner like substance. The second and third toes are generally regarded as the most popular and comfortable for toe rings, which should rest just above the knuckle and just below the pad of the toe, not all the way to the base of the toe. Multiple toe rings are equivalent to multiple rings on a hand – your toes, your choice.
Still ready to toe the line? Just make sure that toe ring is working for you – not against you – and wear it with style, confidence and discretion!