As I’m going over all of the responses to my Comfort & Joy giveaway, I find myself overwhelmed with my own “Comfort and Joy”! It is so nice to hear what brings warm feelings to others during this busy time of year. I was so moved by your feedback I wanted to share a few of my favorites so far.
What brings you comfort and joy during the holidays?
“A cup of rich, creamy hot chocolate, cookies and the scent of cinnamon & nutmeg in the air.” – Carrie
“Doing for others who don’t expect it.” – Judee
“Blessed that I am able to see my grandchildren healthy and happy”. – Christine
“Knowing that my family is happy & healthy!” – Lisa
“The feeling of a warm home family and laughter somehow makes everything else less important.” – Shentel
No surprise, the most common theme has been the cherished time spent with family and friends, sharing a meal together and the gift of good health. I am thankful that we are all counting our blessings together today! Thank you for allowing me to share a few of my own tips to a Mannerly Holiday Home.
Etiquette Tips for a Mannerly Home this Holiday Season:
- The Welcome Begins at the Door. Greeted with a festive wreath, a walkway of simple flowers and a holiday mat to clean off the snow makes your entry tidy and comfortable. Have a special closet or room for coats and an area designated for wet umbrellas and snow shoes.
- Delight Their Senses. Who can resist smiling when they enter a home filled with the scent of cinnamon and vanilla. Have a pie baking in the oven (frozen and store bought are perfectly fine) or make your own potpourri from orange rind, cloves and cinnamon sticks simmering on a pot on the stove.
- Offer Ample Seating. If you are planning a holiday gathering, bring in the folding chairs, borrow from neighbors and take a look around your house for extra stools. Don’t wait until you find yourself short a few chairs.
- Keep Your Menu Simple. Plan foods that are both nourishing and easy to prepare. The focus should be on your guests, not how many wine glasses you need at the table or which fork to use for each course.
- Pay Special Attention to Your Powder Room. Stock up on soft toilet paper, vintage holiday hand towels and decorative soap. A lightly scented candle also adds a nice touch. All of these can be found very inexpensively and it adds a special touch to a room that is often overlooked. Remember to make spot checks of the bathroom throughout the day to ensure that the bathroom stays tidy and clean.
- Consider a List of Activities. When there is a lull in the conversation, pull out a holiday trivia game or make your own songbooks and encourage an impromptu sing-along. Ask everyone to bring one white elephant gift and have some fun!
Wishing You Comfort and Joy,