A New Year’s Eve kiss is a tradition that adds to the festive spirit of an already celebratory evening. That said, what do you do this if the person who’s puckering up next to you at midnight is your friend’s odd cousin with his navigational GPS fixed directly on you?
Never fear, I’m sharing a few kissing etiquette tips below in preparation for an unwanted pucker:
- Plan your escape route early. If you have even an inkling that an uncomfortable situation may arise when the clock strikes twelve, say your goodbyes a few minutes early and scoot out the door before the ball falls in New York City . Create an escape route with some friends; stash a ladder outside the window ahead of time – not really, but maybe.
- Huddle up. If you want to derail an unwelcome kiss, get together with your friends and plan a group hug at the witching hour. Get into formation for a fun group hug at midnight that also acts as a convenient hedge of protection from unwanted smooches.
- Exit stage left. When the countdown begins, move to the other side of the crowd. Duck out of the room and into the ladies room for a quick touch up. Come out after you hear everyone back to normal conversation.
- Dodge and duck. If lips are moving in and a kiss is imminent, turn your head so the kiss lands on your cheek. Quickly say “Happy New Year to you, too!” and move on to hug another friend.
- Spend New Year’s Eve with a person you really want to kiss. Have your own get together so you get to choose who receives your genuine affection. If the man of your dreams is unavailable, spend the occasion with people who you enjoy and won’t feel uncomfortable with when midnight rolls around.
On the other hand, if you are anxiously awaiting a New Year’s Eve kiss, here are a few tips to make it memorable:
- Set your sights on the right target. Make sure the recipient of your kiss will appreciate your effort. This is not the time to show your ex that you still have feelings for him (especially if he brought someone else to the party).
- Freshen up. Prep for the moment with some breath mints and a little chapstick.
- Don’t get carried away. If you’re at a New Year’s Eve family potluck where you and your honey have been playing Scrabble with your grandmother all night, keep the kiss G-rated.
Happy New Year’s…xoxoxoSmack!