I am sharing a few things on my 2014 “to do” list. Some are left over from last year, other’s are my new “to do’s”. What’s on your list?
1. Learn to use my universal remote. What is it about that darn thing that confuses me? I am committed, right here and now, to NOT miss another movie because my teens aren’t home to help me. My frustration stops in 2014!
2. Set up a stylish bar. If you know me at all, you are probably rolling your eyes right now because you know that I don’t drink! But, I L-O-V-E the look of a stylish bar set up and I take jillions of pictures to use as inspiration. And, btw, I do like an occasional glass of wine, or mixed drink, just not more than a thimble, unless you are open to hearing me sing – loud!
3. Learn how to take good pictures. In my drawer at home, I have collected many cameras throughout the years in hopes of finding the “one” that will take the perfect photo. Now that my iPhone is my “go to,” I am determined to learn how to take the perfect shot. Is there an app for that? I don’t want my children to look back and remember their childhood with fuzzy shots and bad lighting.
4. Streamline my cabinets and drawers. Similar to my camera collection, I am a bit of a collector when it comes to dishware, glassware and miscellaneous tchotchkes. I am committed to editing my “stuff” by purging, donating, gifting and above all, using what I have.
5. Go to more parties. You might think based on my profession that I am an extrovert that loves to socialize. In reality, I am shy and prefer a quiet night at home in my pj’s with a bowl of ice cream. It was recently brought to my attention that one of my BFF’s doesn’t invite me over to large gatherings because she “knows I won’t come.” Times are a chang’n! I’m putting on my party pants and am ready to mix and mingle until the wee hours of the morning. That’s a lie. But, if you invite me, chances are good I’ll RSVP “yes” in 2014.
6. Clean and polish my boots. I have a love affair with shoes, and my boots are some of my favorites. I tend to rely on anyone other than myself to clean them when they need attention. This year it’s going to be me and a cleaning cloth! I just need to trust my own polishing skills. There is something meditative about getting things in order and appreciating what you have.
7. Re-read a few of my favorite books on my shelf. I would like to declare that it will be something by Winston Churchill, or perhaps Theroux, but it will most likely be something more along the lines of The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (one of my favorites!), or The Secret Garden. Love, love, love! What’s on your reading list?
8. Update my music playlist and go to the movies. I love music and I listen to Sirius radio in my car, but I never get around to adding my favorites to my playlist. I also see previews of movies I “have to see,” but then forget about them soon after. I’m going to make a list and follow through on music updates and seeing weekly movies. Now where is that darn movie app?
9. Learn how to use my universal gym. This year, I really mean it! I really, really mean it!
10. Grow my bangs out. Well, okay, it will most likely never happen, but sometimes, for about three days I give it my best effort. But, my family conspicuously smirks and shamelessly giggles as I sheepishly walk around with new hair clips and headbands. I feel like a cat wearing a pair of socks! Oh well, maybe next year…
While this list may seem simple, it’s a way to make time for things that are often overlooked. This is only the beginning of a longer list to come, but you’ve got to start somewhere, and reserve the right to add tasks and delete others as the year progresses.