This week is Administrative Professionals Week, a perfect opportunity to show your appreciation for the diligent work done by those handling your office. Here are a few ideas that will demonstrate you recognize his or her hard work, whether you are their boss or co-worker.
- Pay for his or her lunch. Believe it or not, taking your assistant to lunch may not be top of their list! What may be more appealing is a break from the office. Consider giving them a gift card to their favorite restaurant, coffee shop or deli.
- Deliver praise in front of your team. Acknowledge his or her efforts at the weekly staff meeting, in your company newsletter, on Twitter or in front of your clients. After all, who wouldn’t appreciate a sincere compliment? See my article on The Incredible Power of a Compliment for some inspiration.
- Put it in Writing. Purchase a card and have the office sign it, citing something specific he or she does to make your office life easier. Make your words meaningful and genuine.
- Say it with flowers, or a fresh plant. While you don’t have to send an over-sized bouquet, consider a bright and cheery collection of flowers or something from the entire office to start the day off. Place it on their desk before they arrive for an early morning greeting.
- Offer a thoughtful perk. There are countless ways to express your gratitude for a job well done. Surprise your assistant with the afternoon off, or lighten their workload by removing a project from their to-do list, instead working through it yourself.