Q: I’m a business professional in the process of updating my career wardrobe with a few summer clothing items and new laptop bag. Do you have any recommendations on laptop bags?
A: You are wise to pay attention to your career wardrobe, not overlooking the small details that make a big impact, like your laptop bag and your professional business attire. You can view many of my favorite clothing staples for the office on my Women’s Office Wear Pinterest board.
I’m thankful there are several stylish laptop bags on the market that are a far cry from the big, bulky, black pleather laptop bags from the not-so-distant past. I’m sharing several of my favorites in a variety of price points. What you select will depend on your budget and taste, keeping in mind the price point often reflects the quality of the bag.
- My first selection is a Tumi because you can never go wrong with their quality, style and commitment to an executive’s needs. Easy to carry and a cinch to keep clean, this bag, the Q Tote, in Kelly Green, says “creative” as well as “professional”. Cost: $295
- I couldn’t resist this Kelly Moore bag, inspired by vintage satchels, and a result of her collaboration with Emma and Elsie of the popular lifestyle blog, A Beautiful Mess. Though it’s made to house a camera and lens, its size accommodates 13″ and 15″ laptops as well. I like that there are plenty of pockets and inside dividers, not to mention the extras, like a cute striped strap. Cost: $229
- Although I’ve mentioned Alesya Bags once before on this blog, I would be remiss if I left out her beautiful laptop handbag line. The quality and design of her offerings is impeccable. The bag is not only attractive, but functional with a hidden laptop compartment. Cost: $289
- A Tory Burch bag always makes a gorgeous statement, and this Robinson striped tote features a laptop compartment and a bold, contrasting band. The price point is quite a bit higher, but for those on an unlimited budget, this makes a strong statement. Cost: $550
- Available in navy, mandarin, tan or black, this Michael Kors tote is perfect for travel. It fits a 13” laptop. Cost: $298
- For those with a big budget and a summer bonus to burn on whatever you wish, Burberry has a great laptop bag that is stylish, understated, and will stand the test of time. It’s beautiful, but admittedly pricey. Cost: $1,095
And finally, back to “my” reality, I encourage you to visit your local department stores (My favorite is discount store, TJ Maxx) to grab a well-made leather tote that could double as a laptop bag, or find an actual laptop bag at a bargain price. I have found both and always feel good when I buy quality and save money. The key is to take your time and do your research before jumping at the first bag you see.