Wishing you Happy Holidays as you settle into your Christmas Eve, enjoy these festive holiday treats, courtesy of Celebrate Magazine.
Hot Mulled Cider
- 20 cloves
- 1 navel orange
- 2 quarts apple cider
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 8 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 1/2 cup vodka
- Garnish: cinnamon sticks
- Pierce the orange skin with cloves, arranging them in desired pattern; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine cider, brown sugar, and cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in rum and vodka. Place clove-studded orange in cider. Let orange soak in hot cider for no longer than 10 minutes. Remove cinnamon sticks and orange, reserving cinnamon sticks for garnish, if desired. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Homemade Peppermint Patties (featured on Celebrate Magazine’s 25 Days of Christmas Cookies)
- 2⁄3 cup whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 (4-ounce) bars white chocolate, chopped
- 1 (7-ounce) jar marshmallow crème
- 11⁄4 cups finely chopped soft peppermints, divided
- 3 (4-ounce) bars bittersweet chocolate, melted
- Line a 13×9-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, letting foil extend over edges of pan. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk, butter, sugar, and salt to a boil over high heat, whisking often. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer reads 234°. Remove from heat; stir in white chocolate, marshmallow crème, and 1 cup peppermint. Spread into prepared pan. Freeze 2 hours.
- Lifting edges of foil, remove mixture from pan. Using a 21⁄2-inch round cutter, cut into rounds. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using two forks, dip rounds in melted bittersweet chocolate, coating completely. Place on prepared pan. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1⁄4 cup peppermint. Let stand 1 hour before serving. Cover, and refrigerate up to 1 week.