The change of seasons provides a perfect opportunity for us to refresh our office wardrobe. Staple items that are both stylish and timeless boost your spirit without breaking the bank. Invest in a few key additions that can be worn throughout the heat of Spring and Summer.
For a fresh Spring fashion update, I recommend:
- A statement scarf. Scarves are both versatile and functional. Style yours around the neck to accent a blouse or dress, or to compliment an outfit with a sophisticated pop of color. A scarf also serves as a source of warmth on a chilly plane ride and can live in your wardrobe for many years to come!
- Tortoise shell sunglasses. A great pair of sunglasses will serve you well for years and years to come. Care for them properly by putting them in their proper case when not in use. Using sunglasses as a headband may stretch the arms and make them loose fitting around the ears.
- Champagne colored pumps. Not the standard black or beige, a blush colored heel is still appropriate for a multitude of outfits, from wide legged trousers to a pencil skirt.
- A leather tote. In a neutral or soft pastel, the right tote elevates your wardrobe and seamlessly goes from work to a weekend getaway. It offers an easy place to store your wallet, business cards, laptop, makeup bag and a few magazines for travel.
- A small pair of gold studs. Sometimes a whisper of a tiny stud is all it takes to make a grand statement. Elegant and understated, a hint of subtle glimmer is never a bad choice.
- A sleeveless sheath dress. You probably already have multiple sheaths hanging in your closet, and chances are that most of them are black. A selection of LBDs is a girl’s dream, but this time opt for a color in pale blue or light pink to freshen up your Spring and Summer wardrobe. Add a jacket or sweater, necklace, or pretty scarf to change transform the look.
- A fine tailored suit. Yes, you have numerous options hanging in your closet, but have you tried them on lately? Do they look tired or outdated? Are the trousers in need of alterations? A trip to the tailor can make your suit look new again. Pull it out and start wearing your light weight wool – always a classic.
- A pencil skirt. With a beautiful Spring blouse or a fitted jacket, you are prepared for any occasion. Meant to be a straight and narrow cut, the perfect fit is not skin tight or too short. Grazing the knee, find a skirt that fits comfortably over your hips and tailor the waist if necessary. A heel or pump that matches your skin tone to elongate your legs and flatter your silhouette.
- A sleeveless trench. No matter the weather, a sleeveless trench dress looks polished, tailored and ready for a business lunch or happy hour with friends (add a cardigan if your office requires sleeves). This example is simple but sends a powerful message.
- A dash of color. A colorful belt will add personality to your outfit. Worn around the waist of a dress, through the loops of a pair of slacks or resting on the waist of your skirt (make sure it’s secure when you stand up and move around), a thin splash of color is uplifting and eye appealing.
For more of my Business Attire Tips check out my blog, Fashion Etiquette: Defining Business Casual.